Thursday 7 November 2013

Fall down Seven Times, Get up Eight



Hello all you wonderful women, today I am very proud to bring you this story from Tracy McMahon. 


Fall down Seven Times, Get up Eight
It’s cemented in stone. I have committed the crime of fraud. I’m a mother, a partner, a sister, a daughter and I am a friend. I fell from the rails and committed one of the worst acts in the eyes of the British Public, however minor the amount was in the great scheme of the world we live in today.
I lost everything. My children, my home, the love of my life and ultimately, I lost all moral fibre. After a legal battle to see my children that lasted five years to pay my legal fees, I started a life of crime. That battle has not ended and as my children are now adults, the battle continues within me and there are no other words to describe the feeling other than it feels like I have been stabbed every single day of my life being without them. I’ve hurt my father, my mother, my children and some very good friends. However, I own my crimes and those who want to make it their own have chosen this route and I am in no position to change the direction of their sails. Overnight my friends disappeared from my life vowing never to speak to me again. To date, they have stood by their words. I can only make amends where I am allowed to.
I was sentenced four months ago, on June 14th. I honestly thought I was going to prison. I had been warned that I was going to prison. I was transferred in a van via the M6 motorway to a Northern court where my sentence was to be passed. Breaking the news to my mother was one of the hardest tasks I have ever had to do. My mother has the mental disorder, schizophrenia, yet my pain somehow brought her back to the reality which was staring her in the face. Her daughter was going to prison. People waved the newspaper article in her face, the same people who have taunted her for years and who she has closed out in her mind as she enters her own world that doesn’t exist for you and me.
I lived on a canal bank. I was not given a custodial sentence. As desperate as I felt, something flickered in me. At the back of my mind, there was a pilot light burning away quietly. That light brought me a smile and despite the fear, I picked myself up, dusted myself down and I write today from a very different platform. I have picked up my business and given it a dusting down. I write for a respected publication and in the New Year, I am to offer work to women who have also fallen from the path we are supposed to tread in the boundaries of the society we live in.
I’ve learned my lesson. I fell down seven times and the eighth time I got up; I stood up and stood tall. I’ve worked 15 hours a day to bring my business to a workable level. Those who were once my nemesis have now become my friends. Those who refuse to speak with me, I can do nothing about.
Remember that little pilot light? I touched it and it is now a towering inferno. That little pilot light was the little voice that was telling me to keep trying and in the great words of Mary Ann Radmacher;
Courage is not always the lion that roars, sometimes it’s the little voice in the corner that says; “I will try again tomorrow”
My pilot light was my courage.

Tracey McMahon is the author of Tyranny and Keeping the National in the National 
 Probation Service. She also features as part of the "View From" series on Criminal Law  

Please carry on sharing your stories with us here on realwomanswords, leave a comment or contact me to become a guest author. Dr. Dee Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment